5 Siding Options to Transform Your Home’s Value & Aesthetic

Jan 05, 2021

When thinking of a home improvement project, exterior siding should top your list. Wall siding ranks among the most transformative and cost-effective home improvements. A siding home improvement project has a return on investment (ROI) of 74.7% of the cost. This means your exterior home improvement eventually pays for itself in the long run.

The wall treatment is among the most valuable home improvements. Your new wall treatment protects your home, improves the aesthetic outlook, and boosts the property’s market value.

When planning siding installation or replacement, you have to make the right choice of material to get value for money. Here are some of the best siding options for your home remodeling.

1. Wood Siding

This exterior siding material gives your home a warm, traditional look. The rustic look makes your home stand out and instantly boosts the curb appeal.

However, wood siding has some drawbacks, top of these being the high cost of wood, installation, and maintenance. Wood is not a sustainable material and many homeowners now go for more eco-friendly siding options such as engineered wood siding.

2. Vinyl Siding

This is a low-cost exterior home improvement material with a transformative impact on the structure. The versatile material comes in a range of colors and styles for easy customization. You can choose any color to easily blend with the rest of your home’s décor. Vinyl siding requires no maintenance and is also weather-resistant. It also easy to install and you’ll readily find it at the stores.

Some of the drawbacks include poor thermal blocking abilities and flimsiness. It also lacks the natural look you might need if you are renovating a historical home.

3. Fiber-Cement Siding

This durable and fire-resistant wall material mimics the look of real wood grain or stucco. The siding material has 85% cement-like materials including sand, cement, and fly ash. Cellulose fibers make up the other 15%. It is a low-maintenance siding material whose durability makes it ideal for any geographical region.

The downsides include its heavy weight, brittleness, and higher cost compared to other common siding materials.

4. Aluminum Siding

Aluminum has gradually emerged as a popular material in home construction from doors, windows, shutters, roofing, and now siding. It’s riding on the sustainable building trend as homeowners continue embracing eco-friendly construction materials.

If you own a modern home, aluminum siding is a perfect choice for a home upgrade. The material is fire-proof and gives your home a contemporary touch. Aluminum siding overcomes most of the problems associated with wood siding. These include pest attacks, susceptibility to water damage, and high cost of maintenance.

However, aluminum material transmits thermal energy and also dents easily. This wall treatment also amplifies the sound of rain and hail.

5. Brick Veneer Siding

Brick masonry has come a long way over the centuries and still remains one of the most popular construction styles. Brick sidings are durable and offer the best protection for your walls. They also add to the aesthetics of the home with a dash of classic, traditional charm. The veneers are fire-resistant, rot-resistant, and low-maintenance.

However, the best quality brick veneers come with a high price tag. They’re also porous — water might seep through to the walls causing extensive structural damage if the brick is not sealed.

These are just a few of the siding materials you can choose to improve your home’s curb appeal. Your contractor will help you make the right choice based on the main objective of your home improvement. If you want to spruce up your home with high-quality siding materials, contact 1st Choice Windows & Siding today to schedule your free in-home consultation.